Saturday, August 4, 2012

Grilled Pork Chops with a great new side dish!

We LOVE pork on the Grill and after seeing this recipe (the original idea for these caramelized onions came from I've from a fellow blogger, Chris at NibbleMeThis.com. 
My "Pork Be Inspired" imitation logo inspired plate...
I've cooked a lot of chops but never tried any cooking with Cipollini Onions so I kept his recipe basically intact the basics for that glaze.  I often use a lot of dried spices in place of fresh; either because my garden is lacking their production or to save money at the grocery, it might impact the overall appeal but not by much (unless I’m being judged in a competition).  

The onions and potatoes serves 2-4; our meal was for 2 (chops).  I also loved Chris's idea of placing a single pat of unsalted butter on the chops which serves to add to the favor I had not tried before.  Personally we preferred the Cipollini's on top of our pork...
Reducing the glaze.
Ingredients
  • 1 ¼” Pork Chops (sustainable, free range)
  • 1 Lb. Bag of Potatoes (Indigo, Fingerling, variety of choice  or Sub-Rice)
  • Paul Prudhommes Pork Magic (I got lazy on the rub)
  • Paul Prudhommes Vegetable Magic (we love this spice combo)
  • 8 Oz. Bag – Cipollini Onions
  • Unsalted butter 
  • 1/2 Tsp. Ground Sage
  • 3 Heaping Tbls. Honey (local honey always)
  • ½ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
I can't plate it like Chris (I'm always in a hurry to eat, post, clean up and relax) but I have to admit this was AMAZING no matter the quality of the lighting or my rust to shot and eat...
Directions
  1. Pork Chops MUST be at room temperature; season with Paul Prudhommes Pork Magic.  Set aside/chill for 2-4 hours (a mini-marinade rub).
  2. Blanch the Cipollini in boiling water for 3 minutes. Cool and peel them. 
  3. Preheat a sauté pan over medium heat and add the butter, onions, sage and caramelize the onions (about 20 minutes). 1
  4. Add the honey and vinegar and cook until reduced, another 10-20 minutes.* 
  5. While cooling fire up your grill to high heat/full flame/or about 500 degrees at the dome.
  6. Grill the chops until they reach an internal temp of around 137 degrees, dome down and almost totally shut down (8-10 minutes, flipping once) 
  7. Allow the chops to rest for 5-10 minutes and the finished temperature will raise to or past 145 degrees.  
Seperating the onions after blanching.
The indigos are 'best for you' if you can get them organically, do it.
Pink is the new pork; but not in my house, yet.  These came off per Chris's recommendation but I waited until they were nearer 150 before I started eating.  I'm learning to trust the lower recommended temperatures, a little bit at a time.  This was a big step tonight.  The pork chops were AMAZING as well.
I'm gonna have to work up a trade with Chris for some of those GRAT MATES I guess...
Follow my posts on Facebook as well at
Side dishes:
Steamed Potato variety, smashed and salted.
Canned spinach heated with Paul Prudhommes Vegetable Magic and a splash of Balsamic Vinegar and a pinch of sea salt.

1 Paraphrased from the original recipe posted by Chris at Nibble Me This...

No comments:

Post a Comment