This dish combines the flavors of Chicken Thighs and Spanish Chorizo (sweet or spicy sausage) in a tasty ‘One Pot’ brown rice Dutch oven dish.
There are many varieties of Chorizo but Spanish chorizo is typically the most readily available in the grocery store. It is made from coarsely chopped pork and pork fat, seasoned with smoked pimentón (paprika) and salt. It is generally classed as either picante (spicy) or dulce (sweet), depending upon the type of smoked paprika used. Chorizo comes in short, long, hard and soft varieties, some of which are suited to being eaten as an appetizer or tapas, whereas others are better suited to cooking. Leaner varieties are typically better suited to tapas, eaten at room temperature, whereas fattier versions are generally used for cooking. A general rule of thumb is that long, thin chorizos are sweeter and short chorizos are spicy, although this is not always the case.
1 Lb. Boneless organic chicken thighs
½ Lb. - Chorizo (soft for this recipe)
2 cups - Long Grain Brown Rice (not instant)
1- 4 oz. bottle White Zinfandel wine (or substitute ½ bottle white cooking wine)
2 each - Roasted Red Peppers cut into thick slices (canned or prepared ahead of time on the grill)
1 Small Sweet Onion, sliced thin
2.5 cups - Chicken Broth
1 cup - Frozen Peas
Paul Prudhommes Poultry Magic Seasoning (to taste)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
2 Tsp. – Oregano (or 2 Tbsp. Fresh Chopped Oregano)
1 Tsp. - Crushed Red Pepper (flakes)
6 cloves - Fresh Garlic, minced
2 each - Bay Leaf
Paprika - Pinch
1. Preheat Big Green Egg to High Heat.
2. Season chicken with PP’s seasoning. In the Dutch oven drizzle in some EVOO and add the chicken and let cook until tender. Add the Chorizo, stirring frequently until browned (4-5 minutes max.).
3. Add the sliced onions, red pepper flakes, oregano, bay leaves and a pinch of paprika and stir until onions are transparent.
4. Cook, stirring frequently and add broth and keep stirring until it comes to a boil.
5. Add rice and shut down the egg and cover Dutch oven for 5-8 minutes. Stirring occasionally.