Italian Chicken Jambalaya - One of my favorite ways to cook on the BGE is to cook the entire meal on the grid and if that can be done in one pot or pan, all the better. This Double Broiler prepared recipe builds once again on my love of Paul Prudhomme’s spices this recipe is a variation on my Chicken Andouille Tasso Jambalaya This Jambalaya dish serves 6 as a main dish or 10-12 as an appetizer. We do organic ingredients where it is available.
Ingredients (THE RAWS)
• 2 Tbsp. Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Magic Seasoning Poultry Magic
• 3 ½ Tbsp. Butter (unsalted)
• 4 Oz. chunked Ham (non-smoked)
• 4 Oz. Italian sausage - ground
• ¾ Lb. Boneless Chicken Thighs (Organic, chopped to bite size
• 1 Ear – Fresh Sweet Corn (cut from cob)
• 2 Bay Leaves
• 1 Cup Chopped Sweet Onions
• 1 Tbls. Celery Salt
• 1 Cup Green and Red (1/2 cup each) Bell Pepper - chopped
• 5 -6 Cloves Fresh Garlic, minced
• 2 Cups – Fresh Tomatoes (just short of pureed – a good way to mask tomatoes if you are serving to someone that doesn’t like chunks of tomato)
• 1 ½ - 2 Cups Chicken Stock (low sodium)
• 1 ½ Cups Instant Rice
1. Fire up the BGE (and 2” raised grid) and when it reaches high heat, melt the butter in a double broiler (5-6 quart).
2. Drizzle in a little EVOO and add the Chicken; continue cooking until browned; stirring frequently
3. Add the Butter, Italian Sausage and Ham chunks, Bay leaves, Magic Seasoning and celery sale then cook until meat is browned (about 5-6 minutes); stirring frequently.
4. Stir in the corn and ½ cup each of the onions, the bell pepper and garlic and cook until the vegetables are tender; stirring frequently and keeping the bottom of the pan from sticking ingredients.
5. Stir in the remaining ½ cup each of the Onions, and Bell Pepper and the Tomato puree
6. Stir in the stock and rice, mixing well and allow the mixture to come to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover the double broiler and shut down the Big Green Egg completely.
7. When the rice is tender and the stock has cooked down (approximately 8-10 minutes) remove from egg. Stir well and remove Bay leaves and let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.