Sunday, March 11, 2012

Pork Ribs 2.5 - 25 method

Okay, those of you that follow me know that I DO NOT use the BGE for Low and Slow and in fact rarely do ANY BBQ.  I typically do one dish meaks, steaks, stir fry, pizza, etc.  This weekend my wife determined that this MUST change.  After this cook, I agree.  It's not that I don't like BBQ, I just like to cook hot and fast without maintaining temperatures, etc and I wasn't raised eating BBQ anyway.

Tonights Experience however has me rethinking the entire process, and unfortunately may force me to add more pages to my cookbook, which I had semi retired into final editing. I hope you enjoy the pictures as much  as we did licking off the bones! ;)  What I have discovered in my experience is that you do NOT have to cook pork ribs for 5 hours, that is a choice and you do NOT have to steep them, that too is a choice.  So I've landed on a 2.5 hour 25 minute method that appears to be working VERY well.

Ingredients
  • 2 Large Slabs of "Restaurant Grade" pork ribs (Restaurant grade defined by the butcher as membranes removed, larger proportaions of meet at the rib ends, essentially a really nice cut of ribs.
  • Mustard
  • Bad Byrons's Butt Rub
  • Bourbon BBQ Sauce
  • Lime BBQ Sauce

Directions
  1. Cut the ribs in half for the rack (just our preference)
  2. Slather a light coat of mustard (for barking)
  3. Rub on Bad Byrons's and set aside for a couple hours to reach room temp covered in plastic wrap or foil
  4. Fire up the egg to 260 dome, with platesetter legs down, a drip pan and grid and normal height with vrack on grid for ribs.
  5. Add the ribs and cook for 2 1/2 hours with no rotation, and NO PEEKING.
  6. Remove rack and return ribs to grid for a bath in Rib Sauce and simmering at 300 for 25 minutes with one turn and one recoat after 10-12 minutes.
  7. Remove and wrap in foil until dinner is served.


1 comment:

  1. Great recipe, I will give that a go, especially as its not going to take 5hrs. Thanks Larry

    ReplyDelete