Sunday, July 26, 2009

Starting Lump Charcoal in the Big Green Egg

























It seems like no matter what forum I view there is constant debate about the best method of starting lump in the Big Green Egg. I've seen everything from paper towels soaked in EVOO to literally FULL ON weed burners and everything in between.

From my perspective it's about planning a patience; if you want instant TREX then maybe you need a weed burner...if you just want to light your BGE, walk away and go prepare items for cooking, then these "Fire Starters" are perfect. I've used them the past year after trying just about every other method (Mapp Gas included) and I found that placed appropriately, one or two of these in a big bowl of lump will light and allow you to get to ANY temp in just a few minutes, of course BGE damper controlling required.

In the stores, they run about $3 for 6, however on the internet you can find them fot about $3.60 for 24. As long as I can buy these things...I'm using nothing else personally. My two cents...and KEEP ON EGGIN'

3 comments:

  1. I like the BGE electric starter. I used the fire starters when I first started Eggin', but I don't like the smell, and they seem to take forever to burn off.

    The electric starter is much faster, cheaper, and it doesn't add its own fumes (and maybe taste).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The BGE brand starters smell, these do not and cook of in about 5 minutes with no flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I swear by the plug in charcoal starter.

    Why use lump charcoal then introduce stuff that going to impact taste and smell?

    ReplyDelete