First attempt at cooking with Quinoa, unremarkable at best. I think it was the recipe and the spices. I've updated the contents to adjust for the overwhelming chili and chipolte taste here. This would be REALLY good in burrritos with some steak bites.
3 Cups of Water
Chicken Bouillon cube (or vegetable)
1 ½ Cups of quinoa, rinsed
½ Tsp. Pink Sea Salt
Juice from 3 Limes (Sub 1/3 Cup Lime Juice)
1 ½ Tsp. Cumin
1/8 Tsp. Chili Powder
1/8 Tsp. ground chipotle chili powder (or cayenne)
2 Tbls. red wine vinegar
2 Tbls. EVOO
4 cloves of minced garlic (Sub 1 Tsp. Minced)
1 can Black Beans, drained
½ Cup fresh or frozen Corn
½ Sweet Onion, diced
½ Cup Roasted Red Pepper, diced
1 Tbls. Jalapeno, minced
¼ Cup Cilantro
½ Cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of Sugar
1. In a large pot combine water and chicken bouillon and bring to a boil. Add quinoa and salt and boil for 10 minutes; remove from heat and rinse quinoa and place in a fine metal sieve or fine colander. Bring a fresh pot of water to boil. Place quinoa in the sieve over it. Cover with a kitchen towel and lid. Steam for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow cooling
2. Meanwhile make the dressing by combining lime juice, cumin, chili powder, chipotle chili powder, vinegar, olive oil and garlic. (You can do this in a small bowl or in a blender)
3. In a separate bowl, combine black beans, corn, onion, red pepper, jalapenos and cilantro.
4. After quinoa cools, combine with black bean mixture. Stir in cheese if, desired.
5. Toss with dressing and serve at room temperature or chilled after tossing in a pinch of salt. Great for mixing with steak bites on burritos for leftovers.