This recipe won the local United Way Chili Cook-off in 2010. It has more of a chowder consistency than a soup. The ingredients qualify it as a chili however. Fixed in a Flame Top Round Dutch oven / Stewpot, 7 qt. it was the perfect cooking vessel for cooking this on the Grill. The combination of Lysander’s Chili Mix, Missouri Legacy Beef (organic) and macaroni is the key to this dish!
2 Lb. - Lean Ground Beef (85-15 – Organic)
1-Large Vidalia onion (or sweet)
2 -28 oz. Peeled Tomatoes
6-8 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 -16 oz Dark Red Kidney Beans
16 Oz. Water
14 oz-Small Elbow Macaroni (less = ‘soupier’)
3 Tbls. Lysander’s Chili Seasoning
Preparation and Cooking Directions
In a large soup kettle, brown the ground beef with chopped Onion and 4-8 cloves of garlic (to taste). Stir and continue browning until medium well.
2. Add 3 Tbls. Lysander’s Chili Seasoning then add 1 Tsp. of Garlic Salt and a pinch of Garlic Pepper (to taste) and finish browning the beef.
3. Add the Kidney Beans and Tomatoes, slightly chopped in the can (do not drain either)
4. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Stir and cover then simmer for 40 minutes
5. Add Elbow Macaroni (dry) and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently
6. Add 16 oz. of water and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.