Friday, June 12, 2009

What You Got in the Pantry Spaghetti on the Big Green Egg




Spaghetti on the EGG; What was I thinking? I was thinkin'..I'm hungry, short on disposable income for the weekend, tired of eating out twice a day and I have a Big Green Egg collecting DUST on the back porch.




So, I looked around and discovered that I didn't have everything I need to make any multi course meal of any consequence but I DID have some ground beef and vermicelli...so "Pantry Spaghetti" was born.


This isn't your Italian Grandmothers SAUCE, but it cooked up just fine and was actually quite tasty...beats Ragu by a Missouri Mile.


Ingredients



1.25 lb. Ground Beef - Missouri Legacy Beef (sustainable)
1 Box Wheat Vermicelli (just short of angel hair)
1 Medium Vidalia Onion
2 tsp. Red Peppers
1 tsp. Fresh Ground 4 Seed Pepper
1 LARGE Tsp. Minced Garlic in Olive Oil
Olive Oil (for your frying pan)
1 small pint of Cherry Tomatoes
2 Cans Tomato Sauce
1 tsp Garlic Powder with Parsley (comes in a jar premixed)
2 tsp Chili Sauce (could have used more)
2 Bay leaves
Parmesan Romano Cheese (grated for plating)

Preparation and Cooking
  1. Fire up the Egg...to T REX status
  2. Oil up the pan you are going to brown your beef.
  3. Mince the onion, red pepper and garlic.
  4. Toss 2/3'rds of the onion mix into the pan and add the beef, start Grilling...
  5. Heat water for Spaghetti (If I had a XL I would do this on the egg...I had to use the stove and I just HATE IT when I can't do the entire meal on the BGE)
  6. Mix Tomato sauce, bay leaves, Garlic powder and parsley, Black Pepper, Remaining onions, chili sauce.
  7. Place sauce in medium iron pot and place on Egg, bring to boil and reduce heat while ground beef finishes.
  8. Add browned beef to sauce, reduce heat (close down the egg) and simmer for desired time (if you are hungry about 15 minutes...if you want to add more flavor go for 30 or more.
  9. Remove and plate on top of spaghetti and top with Parmesan Romano cheese, ENJOY!
  10. Some Italian or French bread would have been nice, but that would have required planning...and this was a 'what you got in the pantry' meal.


Pictures are my first from my new Nikon D90; still learning where the buttons are on this thing!
















No comments:

Post a Comment