Prep Time about 20 minutes, Cook Time: 40-50 minutes; recipe serves 6-8. The leftovers should make for some mean fried Mac and Cheese cakes! Tpnight we left out the Ham since we were having KC Strips (free range) from Missouri Legacy Beef with our Jailbreak Rub (recipe here on the blog).
1 Lb. Elbow Macaroni
6 Tbsp. Salted Butter
5 Tbsp. Enriched Flour
1 Tbsp. Corn Starch
1 ½ Tbsp. powdered Mustard
¼+ Tsp. Cayenne
4 Cups 2% Organic Milk
1-12 Oz. Can Evaporated Milk
2 Cups Monterey Jack, shredded
1 ½ Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
½ Cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded fine
½ + Cup Sweet Onion, finely diced
½ + Tsp. Paprika
1 ½ Tsp. Kosher Salt
12 – 16 oz. Baked ham, diced (not smoked)
1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
¼ of cheeses from recipe
1. Fire up the BGE to full flame and grid on the fire ring then bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Add macaroni and cook to al dente.
While the Pasta is cooking melt 5 Tbsp. butter in separate pot on the grid.
4. Whisk in the flour, cayenne, paprika, salt, corn starch, paprika and powdered mustard, stir until slightly browned (keep it moving constantly); simmer for several minutes making sure it is free of lumps.
5. Stir in the milk, evaporated milk and onion. Simmer for ten minutes then stir in 3/4 of the cheese.
6. Fold the diced ham and macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole pan.
7. Top with remaining cheese and Panko bread crumbs.
8. Remove grid and place plate setter legs down (indirect set up). Adjust temperature to 350 degrees. Place a pizza stone on the plate setter and then place casserole pan on stone. Bake for 40 minutes then remove from BGE and rest for TEN (10) minutes before serving.