The instructions for this Tri Tip cook are the same as all my other Tri Tips, the difference in tonights preparation was a change to a simpler marinade verus my standard Santa Maria style. Served with the Tortellini Salad I posted earlier this morning, this was probably our best dinner of the summer!
1 - 2-3 Lb. Free Range Tri Tip
2 Tbls. EVOO
2 Tbls. Balsamic Vinegar
4 Tbls. Worcestershire sauce
4 Tbls. Soy Sauce
2 Tbls. Honey Dijon Mustard
2 Tsp. Garlic powder
½ cup white wine vinegar
½ cup vegetable oil (or EVOO)
Preparation and cooking
1. Mix together all marinade ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the tri tip in a 1 gallon freezer bag. Place in refrigerator for 4-8 hours turning occasionally.
2. Whisk basting sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside for basting.
3. Lightly oil your cooking grid and fire up BGE to T-Rex. Remove from Marinade and pat dry.
4. Sear the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3-4 minutes per side.
NOTE: This recipe calls for Searing; it is NOT necessary and you can choose to start the cook indirect and get very similar results without searing (cooking time for indirect will increase slightly)
5. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees at the dome.
6. Now set up BGE for either Indirect Cooking (using the plate setter) or a Raised Grid;
7. Return the tri-tip back into the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 125-130 degrees, basting every 5 to 10 minutes.
8. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes; to serve cut into ¼-3/8” slices against the grain and serve.