This recipe does NOT qualify as healthy but it does include a few organic ingredients. Sometimes you just can’t help yourself and you must eat comfort food.
4-6 slices bacon
5 Medium white Potatoes, peeled and diced
1 Medium Sweet Onion, diced
4 Skinless, boneless chicken breasts (organic) – diced and seasoned with poultry seasoning.
3 Cups – Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 Tsp. Paul Prudhomme’s Magic Poultry Seasoning (to taste)
Coarse Sea Salt and Fresh ground Black Peppercorns (to taste)
1 14-15 Oz. Can, Whole kernel corn, drained
3 Cups, Low Fat Half-and-Half
1 ½ Cups Bisquick
1 Cup Organic 2% Milk
- Place bacon in microwave and cook in advance and save grease). Crumble Bacon and set aside.
- Put the bacon grease in the Dutch oven (I used a 7 Qt. Emile Henry Flame Top) and bring Egg up to temperature.
- Add the diced potatoes, onion and chicken to the bacon grease and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently (it will cook slower in a Dutch oven due to smaller pan area). Note: If using a Dutch oven add a little EVOO to keep the chicken from sticking to the pan during simmering.
- Add the chicken broth, corn, more PP’s poultry seasoning, sea salt and fresh pepper.
- Pour in half-and-half and bring to a boil; add crumbled bacon.
- Biscuits: In a medium bowl, combine the Bisquick with milk and mix well (dough should be thick enough to ‘drop’).