Paella; a yummy Spanish dish with its classic saffron-yellow rice, brightly colored veggies and combination of seafood and meats. For this recipe I used a small vintage Dansk paella pan for preparation of the down-sized original recipe. This version only serves 2-3.
• ½ -3/4 Lb. Boneless, Skinless Thighs (Organic) chopped into bite size pieces
• ½ Tsp. Turmeric
• ½ Tsp. - Pimentón
• Dash (1/16th Tsp.) Oregano
• EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
• ½ Lb. Mild Italian Sausage (ground)
• 1 Medium Vidalia onion, chopped
• 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
• 1 Orange Bell Pepper, chopped
• !0 oz Rice - Yellow Saffron pre-spiced Medium Rick
• 3/4 Cup Diced Plum or Amoroso Tomato
• ½ Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
• Garlic to taste 2-3 large Garlic Cloves (Sub: Garlic Onion in season)
• 3 Cups – Organic, Chicken Broth, low sodium
• 1 Cup – Frozen Broccoli, thawed
• ½ Cup – Frozen Peas, thawed
Preheat Big Green Egg to 400 degrees. If you can’t swing grilling this
recipe you can start it on the cook top and finish it in the oven
(sacrilegious of course).
2. Add Turmeric, Pimentón, Oregano, salt and pepper to chicken stock and set aside.
Heat oil in Pan of Choice (Paella, Iron Skillet, Terracotta, etc) and
precook the chicken and sausage then remove and set aside.
Sauté the onions and garlic, asparagus and peppers and when just about
tender, add the tomatoes, sauté for 3-4 more minute then remove and set
5. Change from direct to indirect setting and add the stock and rice, Paprika, Saffron (if applicable).
Stir ONCE and close the lid and sauté for 15 minutes checking the rice
for tenderness before adding the remaining ingredients.
Add the sausage, chicken and sautéed veggies and peas and stir well and
close the lid again for 8-10 minutes of simmering. ; Remove from heat
and serve from Paella pan.